Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Racism in America





Okay, let me be serious for now. Life isn't just about rainbows and cotton candies. It can sometimes be all about religion, debates, races, politics and more. 

Speaking of politics, I've got the guts to ask my co-worker (a very smart and opinionated man) named Royvan Rivero a random question relating to it. My question was:

"Do you believe that Obama was elected as President of the United States because racism has diminished, or was it because of racism that he was chosen?"

I don't know what made him  answer me, but he did (laughs). Here it is:

One of my coleagues asked me a random question half way through my daily office work - the subject was all about racism in America. She was asking me if racism prevailed in the last election and if that was the reason why Obama won.
In my opinion, racism is not anymore prevalent in the region as it was before – thanks to the late Martin Luther King for his great ideas and his dedication in fighting for equality for all. And, definitely, was not the reason why Obama won. In my own observation, America voted based on platforms. 
Based on the series of debates during the campaign period, Obama's potentials prevailed. I can say that his competitiveness, intelligence, his ability to persuade people, and his knowledge in an array of issues that the country is facing put him to the presidency.
Again, racism was not the reason why he won. If it was, then another white president could still have been elected – as there are many whites than blacks in the voting public.



Royvan Rivero is a content writer from Agents of Value- Davao Office. If you would like to know more about him, check his site at http://roynetplanet.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment